Blazing Swan 2020

Important information for theme camp leads below!

What is a Theme Camp?

Theme Camps are the interactive core and cultural lifeblood of Blazing Swan.

You must nominate your Theme Camp to be a Theme Camp at Blazing Swan each year and receive placement at Jilakin Rock City. Registered Theme Camps (once your nomination has been approved) will be publicised and printed in the Blazing Swan WTF (Where’s The Fun) Guide to be distributed at Blazing Swan.

A Sound Camp is a Theme Camp who’s primary gift is music, dance and sound. All Sound Camps must nominate for placement.

An ideal Theme Camp creates a visually stimulating presence and provide a communal space and opportunities for interaction with participants.

Creating a Theme Camp takes commitment, time and good organisational skills. It is hard but rewarding work, and we advise that you create a team of people to help you. Once registered, there is also a whole community of people out there wanting to help you, just ask!

Blazing Swan will try to assist you where we can and provide as much information to help you bring the gift of your camp to Blaze. If you have any questions, please email your questions to

Please note that all participants of Blaze must hold a valid ticket to obtain entry into the event.

Read below for information on bringing your own Theme Camp to Blazing Swan.

New for Blazing Swan 2020

Theme Camp and Artwork (TCA) Leads

As you are hopefully already aware, Jilakin Rock City operates as a construction site prior to gate-open and after gate-close.  At those times, Theme Camp and Artwork (TCA) Leads are responsible for ensuring their work crews operate on-site in accordance with Worksafe requirements.

All TCA Leads must provide and maintain a safe work environment during the construction and pack down of their work sites.

TCA Work Crew Leads must register at HQ immediately on arrival, where the Blaze Risk Team (aka Fun Police) will run the Lead through a quick site induction to communicate essential site-wide operations, layout, radio, medical and evacuation information. The lead must then pass on that essential info to all their work crew.

Note that TCA Work Crew Leads remain responsible for managing OHS in their own theme camp and/or artwork build areas. However to help those Leads with minimal knowledge or time to develop an OHS induction package, the very generous OHS guru’s in the Fun Police have kindly prepared the attached induction package for you to use and/or to refine to create one that addresses the unique work activities and safety issues specific to your work site.

TC&A Pre Arrival OHS Induction BS 2019

TC&A On Site OHS Induction BS 2019

This OHS induction package is a GIFT and NOT COMPULSORY but if someone gets hurt on your work site and you don’t have your own OHS package, it might save your ass if Worksafe or lawyers come knocking at your door.

Of course, PDF documents don’t implement themselves … so you’ll need to do more than save it on your iPad.  Print it up and once on-site but before you start work, get all your crew to read it and most important>>> sign their names on the hardcopy.

The Fun Police also strongly recommend you keep hardcopy Emergency Contact information and relevant Medical information in sealed envelopes (for privacy) for each of your Work Crew in case it is needed in an Emergency.

We look forward to seeing you out at JRC.  If you have any immediate (pre-mobilisation to Kulin) OHS queries, get in touch with the Blaze Fun Police via

Blaze On…

Safety Shaz

Structural Approval

2020 Blazing Swan Theme/Sound Camps that have structures over 3 metres high or with a area 50 metres squared or larger require a Mandatory Structural Approval Authority Sign Off.

Please provide any drawings, sketches and diagrams plus any other information that may help your application to move forward. You will need to assign someone in your camp to be the ‘Competent Person’ or structural advisor as we are bound by state laws, namely the ‘Health Act (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992’ and a ‘Statement of Construction’ for the Shire of Kulin amongst other documents, which require a person from you camp to sign off on your structural and electrical requirements.

Camp Layouts

Theme Camp Layout Plans

Following the guidelines below, please prepare your camp layout plan prior to starting your Placement Questionnaire. Layout plans are submitted as file uploads into the Questionnaire.

  • Accepted formats are Joint Photographic Group (.jpg), Portable Network Graphics (.png), or Portable Document Format (.pdf). Limit file size to approximately 1 MB. Most printer drivers will allow a document to be saved as a .pdf file. Hand-drawn layouts are discouraged, but you may photograph a drawing or sculpture of your layout with a digital camera, in order to create a .jpg file for submission. Please include your camp name and contact information in your camp plan.
  • Layout plans must be an overhead view of your camp.
  • Include both frontage and depth dimensions in feet.
  • Be A4 “landscape” (horizontal) orientation, best suited for black & white printing — avoid dark, cluttered backgrounds.
  • We know they’re visually impressive, but please do not use satellite photos of previous years.
  • Mark out significant features and each project within your camp area:
    • Where is the camp entrance?
    • Where is the main structure or area for the participant interactions?
    • Where are vehicles parked?
    • Where are generators?
    • A camp frontage view is requested, but not required.
    • When submitting your plan as a digital file, be sure the file name is your unique camp name (NOT the generic “camp plan” or “layout plan”).
    • When writing or replying to us, ensure your camp name is in the subject line of all emails.

Here is an example plan from Glow Labs and a write up of their process is here



If you have any enquires please email: themecamps(at)blazingswan(dot)com(dot)au


Happenings – WTF?!

As Theme Camps you will be encouraging participation hosting interactive activities and to be interactive you need to let people know what you are doing so they can come and participate. The best way to do that is let us know what you are planning and we can put it into the WTF!? Guide.

Most camps will host 2-4 big nights (so they can enjoy parties at others camps as well). When you let us know your schedule, we will coordinate with the rest of the community to make sure the fun lasts all week, and that you can work and play without missing out.

We encourage you to create a Facebook page or group. Here you can share what your camp is bringing to JRC and even get new members for your camp! This is also a great way to coordinate your theme camp.

If you wish to advertise your camp or event, you may publicise your plans on:\

When advertising at Jilakin Rock City, please remember that flyers and stickers are an unintentional cause of MOOP problems. Because we are committed to ‘Leave No Trace’, blackboards or body stamps are a more practical option.

Fire or Flame Effects in Theme Camps

If you plan to have any fire of flame effects in your Theme Camp you MUST notify the Theme Camps Crew to discuss your plans. The Theme Camps Crew requires sufficient time to assess the dangers associated with your fire/flame effect and recommend the necessary safety precautions required by your camp in order to run the effect. You will need sufficient time to potentially modify your effect to make it safe.

Flame effects that have not been assessed as safe and issued a Burn Permit will not be allowed to operate at Jilakin Rock City.

MEDICAL: Keep a well-stocked first aid kit in camp. If possible, have at least one member of your camp certified in first aid and CPR.

FIRE: Minimum, Keep a 2.3kg, ABE type fire extinguisher in camp should a fire start, we recommend damp towels as 1st use in a kitchen fire

Radical Self Reliance

All your needs must be thoroughly thought through to make your camp completely autonomous. This includes power, water and building equipment. Be prepared to haul everything out that you’ve brought in. Or if your camp is to be burned, be prepared to clean up any debris left over, including screws and nails. And (seriously) all cigarette butts. The managing principle of our city is LEAVE NO TRACE. There are no bins or rubbish collection service for the site

Work Pass Entry (formally know as Early Entry Pass)

All registered Theme Camps are allowed early access to the JRC from the Saturday before the event opens. This gives participants five days to set up and decorate their theme camp so it’s nice and shiny come opening day.

All Theme Camps will have to vacate site by midday Thursday, two days after the event has closed. This is so we can clean up the rest of the event by the next weekend. When the event closes, no music or parties will be allowed and if any occur they will be immediately shut down by management.

Your camp lead must register crew names for Work Entry passes PRIOR TO the event as we will be onsite and communication will be haphazard after this date. If you do not have an early entry ticket, you will have to wait till gates open, outside of the venue. An email will be sent out to camp leads requesting the names of those who will need to access the site early.


While the drone of raves in the night is something we can all adapt to, the relentless noise of a generator is quite another. Just as bad, is the exhaust, it can be like sleeping inside a garage with a car running to your neighbors.

You should first consider environmentally friendly energy solutions but if you do choose to bring and share a generator, please be considerate of others by following these guidelines:

  • Bring the quietest generator you can afford, and the smallest that will meet your actual needs. Larger generators are more difficult to transport, use more fuel and create more pollution.
  • Don’t run your generator late at night or early in the morning.
  • Place the generator as far from other camps as possible.
  • Cover your generator with a sound shield or baffle. Do NOT bury it to shield the noise.
  • Make sure people can’t trip over any power cords

Please think of others when placing your generator, it needs to be as far from other camps as possible and make sure people can’t trip over power cords. Cover your generator with a sound shield or baffle. As we experienced last year, water can be a real risk so you need to look at getting RCD’s attached to the generators.


If you have a large sound system and/or plan to play some kicking tunes really loud you will be placed in the Sound Camp area. Remember we are a community and free expression is allowed as long as we are not impacting on others experiences negatively. We ask that you try and remedy noise issues with each other first as we are all friends out at JRC, if that doesn’t work ask the awesome Rangers and they will see what they can work out. In the theme camp section (i.e. camps where sound is not their main gift) sound is limited to smaller systems or to a level that doesn’t impact on your neighbours, we are finalising the sound policy for Blazing Swan: Inspiration which will be available shortly


Sort your waste as you go by setting up separated recycling collection. Be responsible for your own rubbish. You and your crew also need to bring your own cups, bowls, plates and cutlery; disposables are strongly discouraged. If you are operating any kind of bar, encourage all bar flies to BYOC (bring their own cup) instead of resorting to disposable ones.

Rubbish and recycling

Plan ahead! Theme Camps can generate a lot more rubbish and recycling than an ordinary camp. Consider what you pack in so you have less to pack out or dispose of. Take unnecessary plastic wrappings off items, transfer items sold in plastic bags or boxes to Tupperware or crates. Bring plenty of heavy-duty garbage bags.

Be kind to your neighbors and don’t dump your rubbish in neighboring towns, roadside bins or service stations on your way out. Instead, plan for a rubbish and recycling run to either Kulin Tip or bring it back to Perth


You will need to organise a Leave No Trace plan for your camp, which you will be asked to submit to the Theme Camp Team when you register online.

Make sure everyone does a MOOP (Matter Out Of Place) sweep of your camp before you leave. Every little bit of MOOP, including nails, cable ties, peanut and eggshells, glitter, cigarette butts, anything that is not part of the natural environment, must be taken away.

Leave no trace really does mean LEAVE NO TRACE


 If you want any more info on camps we suggest looking deeper into Burning Man’s Camp info link here

How to register your Theme Camp

You must nominate your camp to be eligible to be registered. Nomination means that your camp will be assessed to see that you are bringing a safe and entertaining presence to Blazing Swan. 

1. Fill out the Theme Camp Nomination form for your Theme Camp.

2. Blazing Swan will review your nomination.

3. Once your nomination is accepted, you will be sent registration forms.

4. Then the boring stuff is done and we can turn our attention to on how to have fun!!!


At any point, if necessary, the Theme Camp Coordinator will discuss with you how to best meet the safety and interactivity requirements from both the State and Local Governments and Blazing Swan Inc.

We will use the nomination forms to guide placement on site that is optimal for their needs as well as minimising negative impacts, such as sound style conflicts and operating times, on other camps. A map of the site will be in the WTF (Where’s The Fun) guide and distributed to all participants of Blazing Swan so they can find you.

NOTE: State Laws apply at Blazing Swan, as specified in our community principle of Civic Responsibility. So to ensure that everyone has a fun time, and the fun does not stop:

It is a non-negotiable requirement of all Theme Camps at Blazing Swan that they are designed, constructed, operated and removed at event-close, so that they do not cause injury or harm to any person or the environment.

Many factors go into placing camps at Jilikan Rock City (JRC) such as: sound, size, activities and goals, and if you have been to JRC before. Sound camps or louder camps are placed near or facing The Playa (lake) in our higher-noise area, while camps seeking quieter locations get placed in the quieter camping zone up near the entrance.

When working out the space that you will need, please consider everything your camp will contain. Some ideas of things to include: space for your vehicles, public theme camp areas and a private area for your camp only.

Thank you for your interest in creating a Theme Camp for Blazing Swan!