Mutant vehicles are licenced by The Jilakin Rock City Department of Mutant Transport “the DMT”. The DMT also licenses vehicles for use by disabled participants. The DMT must balance the desire to have vehicles at the event, with the community standards of keeping Blazing Swan a foot and bike friendly event and maintaining a level of safety. Because of these limiting factors, not all vehicles can be licensed.

This page contains a summary of the rules for the movement of vehicles, and the types of vehicles allowed, in Jilakin Rock City. 

What is a Mutant Vehicle?

A Mutant Vehicle is a unique, motorised creation that shows little or no resemblance to their original form, or to any standard street vehicle. Mutant Vehicles are radically, stunningly, (usually) permanently, and safely modified from their base vehicle. Sometimes the whole vehicle is made from scratch.

Mutant Vehicles may include such non-standard motorised forms such as furniture, other non-street vehicles such as a boat or train, animals, or just about anything imaginable. For safety reasons, they must not mimic any type of emergency service or law enforcement vehicle.

Vehicles merely stripped to the frame and engine, and vehicles with minimal changes or temporary decorations are not considered Mutant Vehicles.

How are Mutant Vehicles different from any art car?

The Mutant Vehicle classification was specifically created for use in Jilakin Rock City. The classification was created because the term “art car” can have a broad definition, and, because of the limit on the number of vehicles the DMT can license, the DMT needed a classification that better described the level of ‘mutation’ that was required for a license.

A Mutant Vehicle is, in essence, a specific variety of art car that is more modified, customised or changed (i.e. ‘mutated”) from its original form, if any, than most art cars.

Mutant Vehicles are integral to the culture and community at Blazing Swan. They contribute to the surreal, visual quality that binds Jilikin Rock City together.

If you are interested in bringing a Mutant Vehicle to Jilakin Rock City:

For information about vehicles to assist people with disabilities click here.

Ready? These forms are to apply for registration and licensing

Apply for a JRC MV driver's licence (Registration Required)
Apply for mutant vehicle registration