How to pre-register
Email email@example.com by the 12th of March with the following information:
- Your motivations
- Details of mutation(s)
- How it meets the criteria, where not obvious (see MV criteria on page 4 of the pdf below)
- Your safety considerations
Use photos or sketches to make your points
What is a Mutant Vehicle?
A Mutant Vehicle is a unique, motorised creation that shows little or no resemblance to its original form, or to any standard street vehicle. Mutant Vehicles are radically, stunningly, permanently (usually), and safely modified from their base vehicle. Sometimes the whole vehicle is made from scratch. “Mutant Vehicle” is an art car classification created by Burning Man. The classification was created because the term “art car” can have a broad definition and the DMT did not want to deem whether or not someone’s creation was “art”.
Mutant Vehicles may include such non-standard motorised forms such as furniture, other non-street vehicles such as a boat or train, animals, or just about anything imaginable. For safety reasons, they must not mimic any type of emergency service or law enforcement vehicle.
Vehicles merely stripped to the frame and engine, and vehicles with minimal changes or temporary decorations, are not considered Mutant Vehicles.
Mutant Vehicles are integral to the culture and community at Blazing Swan. They contribute to the surreal, visual quality that binds Jilakin Rock City together. If you are interested in bringing a Mutant Vehicle to Jilakin Rock City, see the Mutant Vehicle Licensing and Criteria information below.
If you have any questions, read the Mutant Vehicle and Operator Licencing Manual below. If you still have questions please email the DMT – DMT@blazingswan.com.au
Mutant vehicles can only be driven by licenced operators. At the event, after your mutant vehicle is licenced you can get your operator’s licence. The process should take about 10 minutes.
- You must have a driver’s licence valid in Australia (P plates are okay, L’s are not), we take a copy of it
- You must read the Mutant Vehicle Driving Protocols and Mutant Vehicle Sound Policy below and agree to abide by them
- Go over the vehicle’s inspection sheet to cover its particular operation, visibility and hazards
- We remind you of the potential to lose your vehicle and operator’s licence if you act unsafely