Blazing Swan is an experiment in temporary community. Relationships are created, neighbours meet one another, and our collective survival is challenged. This is not a spectator event. It is difficult for you to take a role in the community if you are in Jilakin Rock City for less than 24 hours. In order to experience the true essence of Blazing Swan, you will want to become part of the community. Therefore, there are no day passes sold, and no discounts given based on your length of stay. Of course, it is not necessary that you come for the entire week. You are welcome to arrive early in the week and stay for just a portion of the event.

Some people are wondering what you need out at Jilakin Rock City, here is a helpful list that can guide you, but remember everyone is different and has different needs, so you may need more stuff on the MUST list, or less and we go into a bit more detail in the other sections below.


Your e ticket (the print out of the receipt of your ticket purchase with the QR code for us to scan)
Photo ID (so you can get the 18+ wrist band on entry so you can partake in a drink whilst at Blazing Swan, no ID = no booze)
4 litres of water per person per day
A reusable water bottle
A cup to enjoy drinks at other camps (most have a “no cup = no drink” policy so find an amazing cup and bling it up so that it will be the envy of all out there)
Food & beverages to last while you are out there
An extensive first-aid kit
Sunscreen/sunblock & sunglasses
Warm clothing
Rope or tie-down straps
Garbage and recycling bags, and tools to clean up your camp
Duct tape—you’ll find a need for it, guaranteed.
Cable ties
Torches and spare batteries (headlamps are useful)
Lights for your bike and your person for safe nighttime travel
A good camp tent or other shelter and warm sleeping bags and bedding.
Portable ashtrays if you smoke (e.g. mint tin that closes securely)
Prescription/contact lens supplies (disposables work great), and anything else you need to maintain your health in a remote area with no services
Fire extinguishers to protect your camp and property
Common sense, an open mind, a sense of humor and a positive attitude


Shade structures, umbrellas, parasols, sheets; something to break the midday sun
A wide brim hat (a chinstrap is useful in the wind)
A cooking stove if you expect to heat food or liquid
A bicycle (mountain bike or cruisers with balloon tires are best)
A bike lock (tag your bike with name, address, yes we have streets out there with names, email and phone info)
Bicycle tyre repair kit, pump, spare parts and extra tubes is a must if you bring a bike as there are double gees out there
Lotion, lip balm and earplugs (Not everyone will want to sleep when you do!)
Watertight protective bags (e.g. heavy zip-type) for cameras or electronic gear
Costumes, musical instruments, props, decorations, and anything that might make the experience more fun for you and your neighbors
A battery powered AM/ FM radio so you can listen to Blazing Swan Radio and stay informed
Camp marker (flag, banner, distinctive marking)
12” tent stakes (rebar is cheap and effective in high wind)
Plastic bottles or tennis balls to top and protect dangerous rebar stakes
Extra set of car keys (keys are easily lost!)

Remember also, it is based on a gifting economy so anything extra you bring to gift to others helps make this more of a community event

We hope that helps to start the planning

What should I bring?
A. Thank you for asking the million-dollar question. Blazing Swan is an exercise in self-sufficiency. You have to bring all you need to survive, and then some. Some people bring only the basics; others bring everything including the kitchen sink.
Water, food and shelter are imperative
After you have taken care of your survival, everything else is up to you.
If you are fond of sleep, earplugs are a participant’s best friend.
A bicycle (with a bike light) is vital for enjoying our vast landscape, and a puncture repair kit may be required as we have at the moment some large double gees (big bloody prickles that can harm your tyres)
For maximum enjoyment of the event, bring toys or costumes with which you can express your creative spirit.
Weather out at the Blaze?
A. As the event is held over the Easter long weekend, it varies when it is held every year but always in either March or April (sometimes both).

March averages in temp are during the day 29 degrees C (84 F) in March and in April a cool 24 C (75 F) [the hottest it’s been ever is 43 C (110 F) and the coldest day time temp has been 13 C (55 F)]

Over night get a bit cool (freezing for us here in WA) which is a brisk 14 C (57 F) in March and 11 C (52 F) so it can get a little chilly so bring some warm stuff [the coldest its been is 2 C (35 F) ]

Blazing Swan is a commerce-free event.
You need to bring ALL supplies, food, water and tools you will need for survival in a harsh environment. No food or sundry items are sold anywhere in Jilakan Rock City.
If you forget something vital, your best bet is to make friends with your nneighbours
If you really need something, you can head into Kulin a short 15-20 minute drive from site. Be warned: they have a minimal selection of goods for purchase compared to the city!
Driving on site:
You may drive to your camping spot, but do not plan to use your vehicle as transportation on site for the duration of your stay. This is a serious safety issue and will be strictly enforced. No driving will be allowed without a Blazing Swan DMT (Department of Mutant Transport) permit.
What is a Theme Camp?
It’s an interactive camp designed by the camp members with the intention of engaging participants. More information can be found in the Theme Camp section on the website Theme camps are located throughout Jilakin Rock City. Assigned placement comes after approved advanced registration. Though registration is not at all required, only registered theme camps will be cited on the city map. Those who register early get choice spots and placement on the map. For registration deadlines, see the above link. Please see below for information about sound.
What about amplified music at Blazing Swan?
A. Amplified music is a favoured method of participation and self-expression at Blazing Swan, and one that influences a large number of people.
We are asking that amplified music in camps be kept at a reasonable level.
Large scale sound art/systems MUST register for placement.
This year, large scale sound systems are restricted to those camps located in allocated areas at Blazing Swan (more detail to follow)
Sound systems should be no bigger than 300 watts for non large scale Sound Camps.
Sound levels produced by any electronic system or device should not exceed 90 decibels outside of a camp or village.
Sound levels emitted from any camp should not cause serious disruption to adjacent camps.
Placement Theme Camps and Art:
This year, we will continue to endeavour to place all registered theme camps, who will then be mapped and assigned a space prior to arrival on the site. The same goes for art installations on the paddock and on the open playa (Lake). Therefore, it is best to register your theme camp or art installation early. Registration is not a prerequisite for creating an art installation or theme camp — much of the best art is found in unexpected places, but will need to be negotiated with Blazing Swan Arts.
Am I allowed to bring my dog-cat-horse-giraffe-dodo-partner…:
Pets/animals are not allowed at Blazing Swan

If you do need a service animal during the event, please do contact the organisers before you attend, pre-registering by emailing with all the certifying documentation. Same applies for a person requiring an attendant via a “Companion Card”

Q: Where is the rave this year?
A: Blazing Swan is not a rave. While our ranks include many individuals from the electronic music community, they are not the majority. Blazing Swan is an experiment in temporary community, and one that is all-inclusive. Yes, this includes ravers.


Q. I have some handmade crafts that I’d like to sell in order to cover my travel costs. Where can I set this up?
A. Blazing Swan flourishes through sharing, trading and the giving of the gift of yourself. We have found the buying and selling of goods is a distraction to connecting and creating relationships. Selling is a transaction-based activity. There is NO VENDING at Blazing Swan. Participants who are found vending /selling will be asked to leave.


Q: Can I reserve a campsite?
A: No. While there are marked roadways, there are no “camping sites,” other than the spaces previously allotted for pre-placed theme camps and art installations. Those awarded placement have applied in advance. Come early if you need space to add friends.