The Anti-Precludian Reading and Performance Society
Description of Camp:
A 'Free to Borrow, Free to Keep' library of over 1000 books. Content will focus on WA, and subjects sympathetic to the interests of attendees at Blazing Swan. A section of childrens books will be included. The Camp is in all senses 'includian', however, and welcomes participation and contributions from everyone and hopes to offer something for all tastes.
The Camp will be small, including a covered area for the display of 30 cardboard fruit-crates of books and an adjacent lounge area for relaxing and reading.
Book reading, poetry readings and discussions on books, writers and poets will be encouraged. In future years it is hoped that this will develop into a series of scheduled poetry and story-telling workshops, focussing on themes both contemporary and esoteric, such as: 'My interior journey to Blazing Swan', 'Something I learnt at Blazing Swan', 'Is this, is anything, real?' and 'Where is my tent?’
The Camp will pay respects not just to the bound book, but also the process of creation of paper, paper-forms, text and drawing.
Goals of the Camp:
1. To give a gift of knowledge, insight and entertainment that can be taken away from Blazing Swan, and passed onto others beyond Blazing Swan. Each book will carry a bookmark or nameplate which highlights the Blazing Swan logo and web address.
2. To provide a(nother) quiet space in Blazing Swan for those seeking to de-tune and de-stress.
3. To provide a focus for reading-performance, particularly in future years.
4. To to encourage others to create 'free little-libraries' that can be set up in their workplaces, community spaces and open spaces and gatherings.
5. To give parents some assistance in providing entertainment for their children. It is not intended that this become a child minding site, but in future years there would be scheduled reading-events for children, possibly with elements of puppetry and mime.
*Picture may or may not be an actual representation of actual theme camp